Five star, five acre facility in northern phoenix offers high class amenities to boarders and clients. Our trainer has more than two decades of experience in a variety of disciplines, from general horsemanship to national level showing. Western and english training and riding lessons available, with a focus in barrel racing, pole bending, gymkhana and mounted shooting.
Trainer Katie Magowan has openings for new clients for 2015. With 23 years of riding experience - and 20 of those years spent perfecting her barrel racing skills while also dipping into the disciplines of dressage, jumping, cattle work, horse racing, driving and more - you are guaranteed to have a professional with a well-rounded knowledge of how horses work, think and learn. Katie's philosophy emphasizes responsiveness in the horse to the rider first and foremost, not aids which can become a crutch to the horse and/or rider. Katie trains with a quiet hand, subtle but clear cues, and encourages self-confidence and trust in the horse and rider. You will not see your horse's face ripped off for an honest mistake, nor gadgets used to force your horse into complying - rather, you will see a willing horse who is respectful and knows the handler/rider is a fair and assertive leader.
Katie competes locally with the WPRA, NBHA, NVSC, SSC, NB, WSC, NRPBR, AW4D/AW5D, as well as at open races. Training fees include boarding, which offers alfalfa and/or bermuda hay 3x a day, your grain/supplements fed, and stalls cleaned daily. Hauling to events is available every weekend, to a variety of locations and different levels of competition. Our horses come along quickly due to the dedication and attention they receive.
Training rates range from $400-$600 a month (board included in these prices) depending on where the horse is at in its training progress. We accept horses for:
- starting from the ground up
- fixing holes in green broke or even finished horses
- teaching the barrel pattern to a broke horse
- tuning up on a finished barrel horse
- solely competing on a finished, non-problematic barrel horse while the owner is unable to compete on the horse (above rates typically don't apply to this option; we will discuss options with owners separately)
Lesson rates range from $35-45 and can be taken on your horse, or any of our 15 lesson horses. Our lesson horses vary in size, shape, personality, level of difficulty and even COLOR! We will find a horse that best suits you so that you may progress quicker with a good match. English or western, for fun or for competition! You can even compete on the horse you learn on! Katie has been teaching lessons for 15 years and has a long list of references.
The results ARE the proof!
* This 6 year old mare was COMPLETELY unhandled before coming in for training, and *FOUR* months later was not only dead broke, but also clocking 17s in barrels and 21s in poles. Videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDh68_WMPgk, http://youtu.be/HRJT3oQjxqs
* A client brought in a green broke mare who had been sitting for 6 months. With only coaching the rider in lessons twice a week, they were clocking 17s and low, low 18s in less than 90 days, as well as running 23s in poles with huge room to improve. Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pqORHxzsWA
* Our horses respond to the rider, so you should be able to continue riding if your rein/bridle breaks, stirrups fall off, etc. Video of riding without tack on the horse: (walk, trot, canter, turning, stopping, backing, etc) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGe_oi920eU Video of loping barrels without tack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY4wb1mZsjE
* 18 year old, one-eyed horse with a bad past of being passed around due to both mental and physical issues has found his home with us as a lesson horse and fun play-day horse. He still clocks 17s! Video 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QccKZnoKxQ&list=UU9mhKO1ygocDspfN8qFg0zQ
In 2014 alone, Katie won 2 saddles, 9 buckles, 60 first place ribbons, and several other awards such as halters, headstalls, plaques, spur straps, etc. She was 2014 overall Champion in her division/class at NVSC, SSC *and* NRPBR. She held the fastest pole bending time of the year at *both* NVSC and SSC with a 21-second run on two different horses. Find more information on her at www.magowanranch.com or check us out on Facebook for more frequent updates at www.facebook.com/magowanranch. Feel free to text show contact info as well!
Spaces will fill up fast, with a monthly limit on the number of accepted clients. Extensive resume, references and other referrals available upon request.
Rate: $375/Month , Number of Stalls: 20
Trails just 1/3rd of a mile up the road!
Horseback Riding, Riding Lessons, Riding Clinics, Has a Riding Arena, Bloodstock Agent / Consignment